Everyone knows I love Morrissey. Always have, always will. But you can only listen to him so much in one day. As the ex-reigning queen of teen angst, I should know this by now. It was freezing and somewhat dreary this morning, so I was in the mood for him. I got to the office and hit play on my Morrissey channel on Pandora radio and have been so swamped until now that I haven’t really paid any attention. The channel consists of Morrissey and The Smiths obviously, The Cure, Depeche Mode, and the occasional Radio Head and Echo & The Bunnymen mixed in. A cheery bunch.
I just got up to help a co-worker with something and found myself to be really dragging. I came back to my desk and slumped back into my chair. It took a few minutes to register what was going on. I worked out last night, I slept well and I’ve been so busy that the day has flown by. All good things. So why I am feeling so incredibly blah? Because without even realizing it, I’ve been listening to these bands for six hours straight. I love them all, but the lyrics have sunk into my sub-conscious over the course of the day. It’s almost as bad as the time I saw P.S. I Love you and then listened to The Pogues “Love You Til The End” on repeat…..for days. Ok, not that bad, but still bad enough. And say what you want about the movie, but I cried so hard I almost couldn’t walk out of the movie theater. Like Sophie’s Choice hard.
The only solution I see here are some videos of puppies or something equally cute, a piece of chocolate and Lady Gaga. Stat. In fact, I recommend these things as a general cure-all.
So like many other parents, I wanted to have some nice photos of my child taken before she gets too big. Not that I don’t take a million pictures of course, but I thought it would be nice to have them taken by a professional. We planned all week for it. She’s going through what I call her “mommy phase” and doesn’t like to be more than a few feet away from me, so getting her to sit still was not going to be an easy task. But she was given a singing Tigger for Christmas, so I hoped that would be distracting enough. God knows I have heard that Tigger sing 40,000 times. So I throw Ava in a dress, pretend that her precious hair isn’t completely unruly, grab Tigger and some other “props” to use as a distraction and we’re off. Tigger was distracting enough for her to sit there, but not distracting enough for her to not rip the bow out of her hair. She just won’t wear one. After all of this effort, we’re there and she’s sitting still with Tigger and all is going well. There were a few classic shots of her trying to get up and a nose picking incident, but it was all pretty easy. We head home and I’m thinking about the rest of our day when I look down to take her shoes off and they are on the wrong feet. After all of the effort, I have her shoes on the wrong frigging feet. What planet am I on? I got the pictures back last night and I must admit they are pretty hilarious. At least we have something funny to look back on. Sorry Ava. Mommy is slow sometimes.
The holidays have come and gone, the weight has piled on with the endless sweets that came my way and I’m ready for the new year. This year, instead of making resolutions, I’m making good intentions. It sounds just as good and is a much better way to avoid disappointment.
So here they are.
1) to be the best mom I can be, take meltdowns in stride (that includes adult meltdowns as well) and keep the television to a minimum. There are some surprisingly cute cartoons on right now!
2) to get so skinny people worry whether or not I’m eating enough. This is only sort of a joke.
3) to get back into planning my own non-work related events. At least one.
4) to curb the negative thoughts and hate less. This is difficult, considering the amount of stupidity that finds me. But I’m going to make a valiant effort. Even with Ke$ha in the world.
5) to clean out all of my closets and keep them clean. Which means selling things on ebay but not turning around to purchase things on ebay.
6) to allow myself two reality show guilty pleasures. I really don’t need to follow ALL of the housewives, do I? This would probably contribute to intention number four.
Happy New Year everyone.